Kwa kuwa umeniona, asante

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Happy Mu-Year!!

Alright, it’s the beginning of January and it’s 90 degrees. Helloooooo equator. As a born and raised New Englander, I never expected to have a sun burnt, palm tree Christmas, but I did, and it was pretty sweet (especially after discovering my hidden talent for crafting extravagant construction-paper-snowflakes… our living room looks pretty wintry). It was very strange being away from friends and family, but something even weirder? No shopping malls with “Deck the Halls” blaring. No Christmas trees perched on mountains of glittery gifts. No 25 Days of Christmas on ABC family. No frantic, last minute shopping, checking names off a list and blatantly cursing that idiot who caused the traffic jam on I-84, making you late for dinner with the fam. So what if he got into an accident, how DARE he be so selfish as to drive like a jerk on Christmas Eve, doesn’t he know how many people have THINGS TO DO AND PLACES TO BE?!
(DISCLAIMER- I haven’t historically done a whole bunch of shopping before Christmas, nor do I believe all US citizens act in the frantic manner above, but the exaggerated caricature makes for a nice contrast to what my 2011 Christmas was like, so just bear with me).
Yeah, none of that, which was to be expected because of the cultural differences, but in addition, a very unfortunate event took place just a few days before Christmas this year in Dar es Salaam that made the holidays even more sobering. A flood swept our area (we were on retreat in Tanga with the other 7 Jesuit Volunteers who are stationed in two other Tanzanian communities, so we were not in the area during the worst of it), and it left an enormous amount of damage in its wake. A river runs through Mabibo, and it flooded pretty badly, damaging houses and stripping many families of most of their possessions. One of the families who invited us for a meal within the first week of my arrival also invited us over for a visit on Christmas. They are a beautifully kind family, with many children (the youngest attends Gonzaga school), but live in a level of poverty that I had not been exposed to until visiting their house in early December. A few-room house, dirt floors, very simple and sparse furniture, open to the elements, and unfortunately located on very low ground. About 4.5 feet of water swept into their house during the days of the flood, and while the family all made it out safely, most of their few possessions did not. When five of us visited on Christmas, the water marks on the walls were still visible and the floor still soft and muddy. Damp clothes were hanging around the interior, and apart from a few wooden frames that we sat on during the visit, mostly everything else was gone, including all of the children’s school supplies. But the visit was still so pleasant and warm. The family laughed and offered us each a few chunks of duck, an enormous gesture. We found out shortly thereafter that Gonzaga Primary School was also hit with about 4-5 feet of water and lost everything on the first floor, including its two computers, all of the food stored up for the term, books, and files*. The walk to the school itself was difficult with all of the mud, overflowing water, and debris cluttering the area. For two days after Christmas, we spent our time hand-wash hundreds of mud-caked uniform pieces for the upcoming year, scheduled to begin on January 9th. Growing up with a washing machine makes you a terrible hand-washer, no matter WHAT sorts of skills you may have, and I seriously lack the proper skills anyway. My knuckles were bleeding after shirt number 10, and I still have scabs. Clearly my technique wasn’t the best, but washing the uniforms was a definite change of pace from most of my past post-Christmas activities, which usually include trying out whatever new things I receive as gifts. When we went to Christmas mass, which was all in Swahili, the priest reiterated the main point of his homily in English so that we could understand- The flood was very damaging, but there were few casualties, we have our health for the holidays, and we are able to celebrate as a community… how fortunate that makes us. It was pretty crazy to hear but also really amazing and powerful (especially since it was the first thing in an hour or so that I was able to understand… the Swahili is still going very slowly). I’m beginning to miss home and am already frustrated with some of the cultural differences that I am encountering, but moments like the ones I experienced on Christmas make me realize how ridiculous a lot of my frustrations are. I felt like I was in who-ville. People kept on singing.
After Christmas, the 11 volunteers went to Moshi to see Mt. Kilimanjaro and spend time at the JV house there to ring in the New Year. We had a silly night dancing in our Mu-Mu’s (very popular Tanzanian garb… I bought the most outrageous one I could find at the market but I actually like it a lot), and screaming along to Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls. It was pretty great J. So, welcome 2012, my first full year away from home. Happy Mu Year!
*If you are interested in helping Gonzaga Primary School recover from the flood damage, please shoot me an email and I’ll hook you up with a fundraising effort going on in the States run by two former JVs who worked at Gonzaga a few years ago. Thanks so much! Bkilliantza11@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment